quinta-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2013

Brazilian music to do the laundry.

Evening! miniventilador

Now, that there are deep grey clouds in the sky and the sun finally went down, I feel in the mood to write something! Maybe some people will think that this post has a strange title. But this is a strange blog, written by a strange woman and read by strange people … Ops! Smiley virando os olhosAre you fine, today, my dear reader? 06

One of the only things I enjoy to to when it’s too hot outside (and inside) is the laundry! I belong to a noble dinasty of people who still wash clothes by hand. Yes, I have a washing machine. But I wash many clothes by hand, especially the ones I wear more often. I have my own laundry at home, by the way, it happens to the most of people here. There are no public laundries in São Paulo; at least, I’ve never heard about them. Usually, the houses and apartments have a laundry, where there’s a washing sink, a washing machine, clotheslines and some supplies. I like to get in touch with water, since I was a kid. There’s something relaxing about it! In the beginning of our History, the African slaves used to wash clothes in the river. Until today, many people do it all over the world. Of course, there’s nothing funny or romantic about slavery, but despite all the pain, the African slaves used to sing while they washed clothes. Some of these songs, belong to our tradition. And the washerwoman is a type of folklore character, in Brazil. She is not a slave, though. But she’s a slave descendant, in the most of cases, a mixed woman, who has African and European ancestry. One of my favorite Brazilian literature characters, is a washerwoman, called Rita Baiana. She belongs to a book called O Cortiço, of Aluísio Azevedo, one of our “classics”. Cortiço is a collective habitation, to very poor people, where lots of individuals live in a small place and share everything, there’s no privacy. There’s nothing cute about the book, it’s including a book full of racism and bias, where you find every type of disgusting stereotype about black, mixed and poor people. BUT, Rita is a very fascinating character! mini_gifs50 She’s a mixed and sexy woman, who dances and sings well and lives according to her will. When I read the book for the first time, I got fascinated by Rita and it was great for my selfesteem, because I’m mixed, too and have African and European ancestry! So … I have this type of connection with washerwomen and everytime I wash my clothes, I feel … fine! Alegre*lol*

That’s why I pay attention at Brazilian songs about washerwomen and their routine. We have many of them! And they are so sensual! The laundry becomes more pleasant when I listen to this songs! So, I’ve chosen three of them to share with you. They are old, of course, because I’m talking about tradition. Enjoy! They have a particular atmosphere, very warm and intense! There’s something magical about the Brazilian washerwomen! mini_gifs_evelyns_place639

Juventude Transviada – Luiz Melodia:

This is not exactly a sensual song. It’s a melancholic song, about the routine of a poor and young washerwoman. But, it’s great! Here in Brazil, it’s usual to hear people singing, every time they need to wash their clothes: Lava roupa todia / Que agonia! …(Do the laundry every day / What an agony!) By the way, this is a samba, believe it or not!

Lamento da Lavadeira – Pery Ribeiro:

Washerwoman’s Lamentation. Yes, the title is not very joyful and the song is not joyful. Probably this washerwoman is not very different from a slave, who complains because she has a lot of clothes to wash, in a short space, with a few resources and she doesn’t earn much. But, for a very strange reason, this song is absolutely cute and kids LOVE it!

Ensaboa – Cartola:

Cartola is just the master of samba, in Brazil! And this is a sensual song. It’s complicated to me to talk about it, because I blush every single time I listen to this song! The lyrics is a dialogue between a couple and the woman who’s washing her clothes is a mulata, a mixed woman and it seems she looks very attractive washing her clothes …Smiley envergonhadoMy friends love to sing this song to me, to see me blushing! Anyways, it’s a very good song!

That’s all for now, folks! I’ll be back! Stay tuned!

Hugs,

Lunamini_gifs185

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário